Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Small timer

It's no secret, I suppose, that I've never much cared for Conrad Burns. Some of the duller lights in the Montana blogosphere assume that's because he was too conservative, but that's not it. I like plenty of conservative Republicans and would be pleased to vote for quite a few. Last week I was trying to put my finger on why I felt the way I did, and I wondered if his atrocious grammar had something to do with it. Sounds petty, I know, but we form opinions about people based on all sorts of petty, irrelevant things, often without even knowing why we do it. The grammar was of a piece with what bugged me: I grew up in the country, around lots of country people, and his good ol' boy shtick just never sounded real to me (same with Bush).

Then I read this and remembered the real reason. He just always seemed too small for the job. Now that he's lost, he seems even smaller.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Whaaaaa!?? Connie quoting the Bible? Wasupwiththat?!! Well, like they say, there are no atheists in a foxhole...........or among felons headed to the big house! Looks as if the ol' biscuit wheels fell right offin' Connie's gravy train! Too bad. I guess I'm gonna miss pokin' fun at the most pathetic character to ever serve in the U.S. senate in the senate! What EVER will we do now for comic relief?!

Larry Kralj, Environmental Rangers!

Anonymous said...

I am somehwat amazed at Conrad's lack of a grasp on reality. As they say in East Texas, "Never trust a man who believes his onw bullshit."

Anonymous said...

Burns was never a natural leader or an original thinker, and I always pictured him with a leash on - I carried away the impression from news reports of his staffers feeding at the Abramoff trough, and of him being blissfully unaware. I doubted he had much to do with policy coming out of his office. I saw him as nothing more than a tool, a disgrace, and a very bad Senator.

But he sure could remember names.